Not all items can move through a parcel network safely and some items can cause serious harm. Yodel therefore has a strict policy that aims to minimise the risk to our people, our operation, and to the general public.
Prohibited and Restricted items
Yodel does not carry the items listed below on any service. You must not send such items through our network under any circumstances.
- Animals. Live animals, including mammals, reptiles, spiders, fish, birds, insects and larvae.
- Banderols and tax stickers. Commonly used for alcohol and tobacco.
- Bullion. of any precious metal.
- Cash and cash-like negotiable instruments in bearer form. This includes any item that in the hands of the bearer (the person in possession) can be used for financial gain. Examples include; activated SIM cards, cash dispenser cards, blank cheques, event tickets, money or postal orders, pre-paid phone cards, traveller’s cheques and unused stamps.
- Dangerous Goods. Yodel will not accept for carriage any items categorised under applicable law or regulation as dangerous or hazardous (“Dangerous Goods”) (subject to specific limited exceptions, as detailed in the Restricted Items section below). Dangerous Goods include:
- Explosive substances and articles
- Aerosols (deodorant, hairspray etc)
- Gases including flammable gas, toxic gas and non-flammable/ non-toxic gasses
- Flammable liquids (for example petrol, paint, hand sanitisers)
- Flammable solids, self-reactive substances and solid desensitised explosives, substances liable to spontaneous combustion
- Oxidising substances and organic peroxides
- Toxic & infectious substances
- Batteries, including items with Lithium elements
- Radioactive material
- Miscellaneous dangerous substances and articles
- Drugs. Any medicinal, narcotic or psychoactive substance controlled under applicable current Misuse of Drugs legislations.
- Firearms, weapons, explosives and ammunition. Commodities whose specific functionality is to inflict injury or to cause death, such as complete firearms, explosives (including fireworks, flares, blasting caps & party poppers) and ammunition.
- Human and animal remains or ashes.
- Illegal goods. Any goods considered to be illegal in any territory, including but not limited to pirated goods, counterfeit goods and narcotics.
- Imitation or Replica firearms, weapons, explosive devices or ammunition. Although these items are usually disabled (without a firing mechanism or explosive components), they hold the same or similar appearance as real firearms, weapons, explosive devices and ammunition.
- Knives. Any knife, knife blade or razor blade; any axe; and any other article which has a blade, or which is sharply pointed and is made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person. Examples include; Any kitchen knife regardless of size or design; cutlery knives; bread knives; knives that can be used for the purpose of hobbies and trades (Stanley knives); cut-throat razors; carpenter adzes; gardening and farming tools such as shears, secateurs, hooks, slashers and choppers; butcher knives, including meat cleavers; utility knives; scissors with sharp edges or points; survival knives; machetes and swords.
- Loose precious stones. Including industrial diamonds and regardless of value.
- Medical samples. This includes bodily fluids and tissue samples (both animal and human).
- Overweight Parcels. Parcels that weigh in excess of 30kg.
- Antiques and works of art. regardless of value.
- Costume jewellery.
- Dangerous Goods in limited quantities as permitted by law and regulations. (e.g. perfume, lithium batteries, weed killer) subject to your compliance with all laws and regulations relating to these items, including the mandatory limitations on quantities and any specific documentation, labelling and packaging requirements.
- Electronic components. such as mobile phones, laptops, tablets, computers, and game consoles over £1000 value.
- Electronic cigarettes (e-cigs and vaping pipes).
- Firearms parts. This includes all component parts of firearms (e.g. rifle butts, trigger mechanisms, screws/bolts etc.) manufactured for the sole purpose of creating a functional firearm.
- Flowers and plant products.
- Foodstuffs (Human or Animal). Dry foods, tinned foods and similar products that can be stored at room temperature with a shelf-life of 21 days or more.
- Fresh Foods (Perishable).
- Furs and garments trimmed with furs.
- Glassware and items containing glass. Note: Yodel does not accept liability for Glassware, unless otherwise authorised.
- High value goods. Goods with an order value in excess of £1000.
- Ivory and products containing ivory.
- Jewellery and objects constructed of precious metals or stones.
- Legal drugs and pharmaceutical products.
- Pornography. Material (printed, film or digital) that is specifically designed to stimulate sexual interest or excitement. Only material considered legal in the origin, transit points and destination countries can be considered for carriage.
- Televisions. with a screen width greater than 42”.
- Tobacco. Both loose-leaf tobacco products and pre-rolled cigarettes.
- Used car parts and components. Used car parts risk containing lubricants such as engine oil, grease, diesel and petrol, all of which may cause harm to other parcels, people and sort equipment We may amend this list from time to time and it is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with the most up to date version at all times.
No Protection Items
- Ceramics / Porcelain / China / Stone / Granite / Marble.
- Packaging - Including The Box, Media Packaging, Suitcases Used As Packaging.
- Precious Metals And Stones - Including Gold, Silver, Gems, Diamond - Including In Jewellery Form.
Covered for loss only
- Any Type Of Wooden Flooring Including Laminate
- Coffee Machines, Coffee Grinders, Coffee Roasters
- Electrical Appliances - Such As Cameras, Monitors, Computers, Drones, Tvs Or Items Related To Knitting Machines Or Sewing Machines.
- Models, kits.
- Musical Instruments Including Amplifiers, Speakers Or Turntables. All Musical Instruments Must Be Sent In A Hard Case And Boxed.
- Suitcase - A Suitcase Will Not Be Protected If This Is Used As Packaging For Internal Items.
- Telescopes Or Microscopes.
- Wall Decor Items Including Canvas Prints, Clocks, Framed Pictures, Pictures, Posters, Prints, Paintings.
In respect of our international services we do not carry any items which are prohibited or restricted by the laws, regulations, or other rules applicable to any territory which the items will travel through or to which the items are to be sent. Be aware that prohibitions and restrictions vary significantly by territory and can apply to items which may be considered harmless in your own territory. They can also be applied on very short notice, such as in the case of sanctions and embargoes. It is your responsibility to understand and comply with the most up to date rules which affect the territory to which you are sending the parcel.
We may amend this webpage from time to time and it is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with the most up to date version at all times. We may also impose additional prohibitions depending upon the territory to which the items are to be sent.
Additionally, we do not carry any other items which in our sole discretion we believe may pose a risk to our people, our operation, or to the general public.